Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Trip update (by Forrest)


This trip has completely changed my perspective on life. I have always been told to take what I’ve got and cherish it forever, because there are a lot of people throughout the world who don’t have half of the stuff we do. Coming down here, I had a picture in my head of people that have these really nice houses and resorts everywhere, but when I reached D.R., the picture was completely thrown out of my head. Driving down the roads, all you see is broken down houses, along with half built ones. Personally, I don’t know if I could live down here. No offense to the Dominicans, they are amazing people. But there just don’t have anything like we have. The people though, they always have a smile on their faces like they have everything in the world.
I met a kid today at an orphanage. His name was Israel; he was 13 years old, but had the maturity of an adult. You would never be able to tell that he was 13 just by looking at him. He was a very small child and sat in a wheelchair. But his heart and mind was just amazing. Like I said, he was a very smart person and very generous; always thinking about others before himself. Today he prayed for our families and our health when we should have been praying for him. He was born from prostitution and has lived out his life expectancy. He said that he wants to be an evangelist when he grows up. He wants to learn many different languages; not to share his story, but to share the many stories of the Lord across the world. He is the most amazing child I’ve ever met and I hope he will live up to his dreams.
This trip was been fun and refreshing, but I would have to say that today was made this trip a once in a lifetime experience. If I could it again, I would come back in a heartbeat.

No comments: